We all know sports and physical education is not given much importance in our educational system. It is mainly due to parents of students, students and sometimes school management / teachers believing that the sports do not help you earn bread and butter in life.
We have to give higher importance to sports. I would suggest following:
1. To introduce annual taluk level sporting event for various sports where all school in taluk should be introduced. This would be the beginning. Once all taluk in a district start this events, the winners of the taluk level should play at district level finale kind of event. To make this event more exciting for the students / school, we can give incentives / ask eminent persons ( MLA, Asst.Comm., etc ) to attend and encourage the students.
This gives raise to next question - where is the time to do this?? I would suggest time to between Diwali and Christmas. i.e. between quarterly exams and mid term exams.
This would also give raise to budget question - Partial allocation from sports ministry and part from school as participation fees. And statement of the expenditure to be given to all schools within 1 week of closure of the event. And mandatory display of the same on the notice board of all schools for at-least 6 months. Hence to maintenance transparency.
2. To improve the sporting infrastructure - this question is like the egg first or hen first ( improve infrastructure first or introduce sporting activities first ). I would say once the sporting gene in introduced into the students, this would itself lead to improvement of the sporting infrastructure in school. The winning school of the taluk / district level sporting event to be given partial budget allocation for infrastructure development in their school.
3. Now all the students may not participate in these events. Which would mean we will more 90% students spectators and remaining participants. Hence a marks / Grading system to be introduced in the school of sports and passing is mandatory in it. But here we need to control the authenticity of the grades. Hence like board exams, where teachers from other school go for vigilance during exam hours - a particular week should dedicate for sport exams in the school.
The other important questions raise is who will organize the events??
There will be a committee formed by principals of all school and looked over by Asst. Comm.. Though all the schools will be in committee - but execution of the event will be one school responsibility and the same year; the principal of the executing school should be head of the committee. All the executing details should be presented before the committee and Asst Comm. and get their approvals. The final financial approval should come from Asst. Comm. and for higher amount from Dist. Collector.
If we are able to execute all the events at same time of the year; this itself will as big as any sporting event in the world or may be more yet micro managed.
Thanks and Regards,
- For this message the author email@example.com has received Like:
- firstname.lastname@example.org (Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:58 am)