Securing the Energy Future for India

Faster and more inclusive growth will require a rapid increase in energy consumption. Since we have limited domestic resources, how can we meet this need equitably and affordably without compromising on our environment?

read more
Sign In
Most of our coal reserves are in forests; imported coal is costly. How can we meet our demand for coal without affecting biodiversity or incurring excessive costs?

Re: Most of our coal reserves are in forests; imported coal is costly. How can we meet our demand for coal without affecting biodiversity or incurring excessive costs?

Postby ishantgoel@live.in » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:18 pm

I think it is much better to reduce the dependency on coal, after all it is an exhaustible resource, even if we are able to generate more coal today, it will be less able for future, also mining in diversity rich areas will destroy much of bio-diversity there, which will add to the trouble. We must shift our focus to renewable resources.
ishantgoel@live.in

Has Liked: 6 times
Have Like: 0 time

Re: Most of our coal reserves are in forests; imported coal is costly. How can we meet our demand for coal without affecting biodiversity or incurring excessive costs?

Postby lokesh.kanna89@gmail.com » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:16 am

Underground mining of coals is best option which i think. They have following pros in relation with this topic
i) There is no mass destruction of forest as in surface mining (as we see in photos of mining activities destroying forest areas).
ii) Relatively less than 10 percent of surface land is required.
iii) The flora and fauna of the surface will not be affected as we are in deep places (atleast 100 m deep)
iv) The waste material is also much less. (almost negligible) . Therefore no requirement of wast dump lands
v) Econometrically,coal is obtained at higher cost than surface mines but less compared to imported coal

Unfortunately, the underground mines in india is going on diminishing for the reasons of lack of reforms in mining sector. If done, technology flow will occur.(note that there is no underground mine machinery manufacturing units/company in emerging india).

response is welcome
lokesh.kanna89@gmail.com

Has Liked: 0 time

Postby shripal.nahata@gmail.com » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:42 pm

Nuclear Energy will be the best substitution for Thermal Energy obviously with proper safety measures and also non-conventional but we cant solely depend on that because non-conventional sources like hydro-power and wind are region specific i.e. they can be build in only those area which provides what is required by power plant that means through hydro power plant the region close to dam or PP is benefited only and they also depends on climate which is highly variable in state like India.
shripal.nahata@gmail.com

Has Liked: 1 time

Postby yatvik01@gmail.com » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:17 am

munnanu4013@gmail.com wrote:Alternate sources of energy which lessen the dependency on coal, for this focus on the hydro power project in north india like Bihar and UP, ahere every year flood destroy everything. It also helps to control the flood as well as satisfying the need of water in agriculture.

We have even exhausted with Hydro Projects as well. It take more than 15 years to conceptualize, plan, construct and generate benefits from a hydro project. Moreover, there are very few options left. Though it is one of the cleanest forms of energy available to us, but it can not be exploited in present Indian scenario. Just FYI, Sardar Sarovar Project took 40 years to start operation from the day plan was conceptualized and the battle is still going on.

Instead why not develop Nuclear energy, it is indeed one of the safest and cleanest form of energy presently available to us. I have been born and brought up at one such place and my dad works in India's biggest nuclear installation, yet we have never been exposed to any kind of hazard in last 26 years. Lets us plan better, lets go nuclear!!!!
yatvik01@gmail.com

Has Liked: 0 time

Previous