Managing the Environment

Environmental and ecological degradation has serious global and local implications, especially for the most vulnerable citizens of our country. How can we encourage responsible behavior, without compromising on our developmental needs?

read more
Sign In
Many areas of our country are experiencing severe water stress? How can we stop ground water depletion?

Re: Many areas of our country are experiencing severe water stress? How can we stop ground water depletion?

Postby prithivibio@gmail.com » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:48 pm

Rain water harvesting should be made mandatory for all household (built by cement) and having terrace.
prithivibio@gmail.com

Has Liked: 0 time
Have Like: 0 time

Re: Many areas of our country are experiencing severe water stress? How can we stop ground water depletion?

Postby lalji.lkv2007@gmail.com » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:49 am

Water management is a challenge no doubt, but it is not something which cannot be met. Better water harvesting system, interlinking of rivers may be an option at the country level. Citizens have to contribute by change of attitude regarding wastage of water. Waste water management by newer and improved technologies is required all over. Unfortunately targeted initiatives from government is somewhat lacking.

For example food waste is thrown all over. Collection of MSW by municipalities all over India is not more than 30 %, and that too is dumped in land dumps (not secured landfills as there is hardly any). Eventually food waste is washed in drains thus choking the drains and in the long run causing eutrophication or drying up of water bodies. Effective monitoring is required which grossly lacking in our system.

Public participation can come only when the intention of the civic bodies etc are well known to be strict. There is also a need to educate the masses through awareness programmes (provided for in the MSW 2000 but not resorted to). NGOs should be encouraged to programme public education.

Lalji Verma
lalji.lkv2007@gmail.com

Postby vijaitech2@yahoo.com » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:23 pm

It is my humble opinion that somehow the ground water shortage is playing adage to the old saying "Too many cooks spoil a broth".

Way too many private players to my liking in this area. I believe the Government of India should proprietary administrative control of managing ground water points such as bore wells.

I am appalled at the number of bore wells each and every builder sinks when constructing a high raise apartment complex. Where are the poor to go in the dry months particularly when they have no means to finance such an undertaking as the builders?

Thanks for considering.
vijaitech2@yahoo.com

Previous